Friday, August 2, 2013

Building a wood burning oven "Tiling the front"

   We decided that a sunburst would look good on the front of the oven so...

I used a chalk line to lay out 15 ray segments with a 6 inch border on the edge and around the door and three radii from the center of the door to 1/2 door +12 inch then adding 12 inches for each of the next 2

Next I....well started cutting and setting tile
In the spirit of this project much of the tile was left over from various jobs
I may take tomorrow off to finish this up I'll append the final product to this post soon

So I did take Monday off to finish up and here is the result



Marking, cutting, marking, cutting...












FYI: This is the way I set complex wall tile:

Mix the mortar in small batches using a drywall mud tray

Put a bit on the back of a tile 
Spread with notched trowel. This called "back buttering " in the trades. 
Set and hold in place with tile spacers














And poof all ready for grout
And there ya go. All grouted 


No comments:

Post a Comment